Southport Blundell Division
Division Commissioner: C/O Sarah Bennett
Southport Blundell has some magnificent coastline which is home to the rare Natterjack Toad, the damp hollows between the sand dunes providing good breeding pools. There are also 450 different species of flowering plants to be found in the dunes.
A little further inland at Ainsdale lido the company of HMS Queen Charlotte opened a gunnery school and were stationed there from 1941 – 1946. To commemorate their stay they presented St John’s church with a stained glass window, inscribed, “These men seek the works of God and his wonders in the deep”.
- The shrimp represents local industry and shrimping carts can still be seen on the beach at Birkdale.
- The pinecone represents the natural features of the area and the pine forests on the Ainsdale / Formby border.
- The cross & serpent is from the old Southport Division standard (Southport used to be 1 division but was split into 2 in 1977) It is part of the coat of arms of Southport and represents the health & welfare of the people.
- The red squirrel is part of the Blundell family coat of arms after whom the division takes its name (Weld Blundell) The round shape of the squirrel is specific to this branch of the Blundell family.
- The shell represents the beaches and the seashore along our coast.
- The symbols on the left show the World Badge and the County badge of Sefton.